I’ve hardly written anything about books on this blog, so I suppose it’s high time I do so.
My Fiction Recommendations (in no particular order):
- Beauty by Robin McKinley: I love this book so much! It’s a beautiful rendition of Beauty and the Beast, with surprising characterization of Beauty’s horse. So wonderful.
- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baronness Orczy: I cannot recommend this book enough. It’s hilarious, and very much in the style of Robin Hood. (And if you’ve seen the movie, never fear–the book is completely different, but the movie manages to go in the same spirit. Pretty epic.)
- The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: So it’s a popular book. So it’s magic and wizards and how dare you read stuff like that, but Harry Potter is brilliant and hilarious and amazing. The characters are deep and the story is rich, and the world is brilliant. Everything I hope for in a good fantasy novel.
- The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede: These books take fairy-tales and turn them upside down. Hilarious, and definitely worth reading.
- Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones: It’s romantic and fantasy and sweet and hilarious all at the same time. I love it so much!
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman: It’s basically identical to the movie (same writer), but even more hilarious. (Especially the introductions!)
I know I have more favorite books, but I can’t remember any of them at the moment so I’ll leave my list like that (and possibly make a page later). So.. I’ll relate my library adventure of this afternoon.
My friend Emiga and I have been planning our future library. After college, we’re going to buy a massive castle out in the middle of nowhere (or build one, because castles in America are rather scarce). The library will have a bazillion books–all of our favorites, and then some.
At any rate, we’ve been working on building our book collections. Em has a 5-shelf bookcase in her room, and it’s literally overflowing with books. She has them double-stacked in most places and there are books on top of books and piled around the floor. She also has several shelves of books in her closet, as well as cardboard boxes of children’s books and Nancy Drew mysteries. As for me… I have a 4×4 cube bookshelf from Ikea, and it’s almost full with books double-stacked. I have books on my desk and books on my craft shelf (wut?) and books on my nightstand and floor and who-knows-where-else. Plus, as my sister moves up a grade, my mom gets rid of the reading books for that year, and I get first dibs.
As Em and I discussed our multitudes of books this morning, we decided that we needed to go to the library and buy some books from their discard bin. Well…. I came out with 16 books. Yes, you read that right. Sixteen books. It only cost me $4, so that’s some relief… But sixteen books. I don’t have room for sixteen books on my shelf! Plus, I haven’t read any of these sixteen books. My to-read list is now surpassing 30 books! What! And, on top of that, I downloaded Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster (and, thanks to my aunt, discovered the sequel, Dear Enemy). Obviously I need to invent a time machine so I have enough time to read all these books!
What are some of your favorite books? And if you could hazard a guess, how many books do you think are on your shelves? *grin*